- All characters created before Dec 6th will be unlocked for former EQ2 Live accounts
- All race/class unlocks purchased by former subscribers to EQ2 Live between 12/06/2011 at 12:01 am and 12/08/2011 at 4:30pm will be refunded (I am assuming those are PST times)
- Characters will still be subject to number of character slots limit, and once in game will be subject to the standard silver-tier limitations
- This will unlock your specific, existing characters not their whole race/class (ie. if you want to make new characters of those races or classes you need to subscribe or buy an unlock
I have to say I'm happy with this compromise. It makes it possible to get back into our old characters (up to 4 of them) completely free and it gives us a chance to see how we feel about the game. Sure, it doesn't unlock everything but to be honest anyone who's enjoying the game enough to need more than 4 of their toons definitely should go for the gold subscription ($15/mo) at that point as it removes the various in game limitations of the free silver plan. (see here for a breakdown of the 3 plans offered - returning veterans are automatically silver-tier accounts)
I'm also quite happy with the quick action that SOE took in response to the complaints about this issue and that they're going to have the unlock down in less than 24h from when they posted about it. Sure, they're a business and as any business it's in their own self interest to please customers, but this is quite different from the way they handled a lot of issues and complaints back when I used to play EQ2 (or in the EQ days). Perhaps their decline has taught them some humility? I've also noticed these past few days that they have a few devs that are fairly active on their forums and seem to read a variety of threads. Another pleasant departure from SOE of old.
If you're interested in the game I definitely recommend giving it a shot once the unlock goes through (or if you've never played it, just make a new account). From what I remember you can expect a much better game than the average F2P and unlike some of the other big North American F2Ps (DDO, LotRO) you won't be nickel-and-dimed for every other quest or dungeon. (Also, not pay-2-win is a big plus to me - I hear all the in-game buyable items are flavor and looks without any stat gear!)
No comments:
Post a Comment